Thursday 14 February 2008

Privateer Space

Having seen various reports about this new sim throughout the aetheric community, I thought I should go and have a look myself. Let me just say there's a VAST gulf between reading about it and seeing it for yourself. Part of the fun is finding the various SF jokes that abound in the textures and the builds. Do *you* know where Asteroid Al's is from?


This is where you start. The Galactic Truck Stop. "Last fuel for 20,000 light years". Here you can pick up an EVA suit and your own Spacebuggy for zipping around the sim.


"Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back.."


Honest Zorg's Used Space Craft. You can pick up a Spacebuggy with TCS on it if you want too. Just be careful to take note of the No Entry signs.


Hotel New California. Yes that's the Swinetrek in parking orbit.


The police building. It was here I met the sim's creator Aley Arai. She was claiming her client was innocent by reason of the victim having fallen into a sun. Uh huh. Likely story.


A looooong talk with her (which I later realised was about 1.5 hours) and I was back off exploring. Amazing person. And quite happy to share her knowledge of how SL does (and doesn't) work.


Ringworld, from Megaprims.


Prior to this I had been under the belief that prims could not be rezzed permanently above 780 metres or so. Here am I at 2000, the top of the prims on the sim.


Space Pirates, hiding among the debris.


New Detroit. Underneath you'll find the *actual* way SL works, including "random inventory deletion server", the "Random Bug & Crash server" and the 1000 terabytes of pixel p0rn.


The surface of Mars


Ancient subterranian (submartian?) ruins.


"My God it's full of stars!" There are four monoliths in the sim. Find them all!


Surface of Da Mooo000o0ooo0n.


During the looong discussion, we ventured into the topic of Space 1999. Where upon I was presented with my very own Eagle. Now I had a chance to set it out properly!


Mining inside a gas giant.


And she's STILL building. Inspired by the Valley Forge (from Silent Running) this will become a host for alien plants. I've suggested triffids in here at some point :-)

You could spend hours in here (I did) and still not see it all. Definitely a sim to return to. Privateer Space can be found at http://slurl.com/secondlife/Privateer Space/122/134/639

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks like a fabulous place to explore!

I may need to warm-up the Bleriot this weekend and fly-over for a visit.

Eva Bellambi said...

My God! How she has built up the sim since last I was there (just a few weeks ago)! I'll be getting the space suit out of the closet as soon as I return from holiday.

Thanks, Edward!

Virrginia Tombola said...

I've probably spent 80% of my online time there the last few days.

It is everything SL should be. I'd say more, but mostly it would be spoilers. Just remember to pet the lizards :)